Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Turmeric for breakfast


This turmeric tofu scramble recipe is one of my kid’s favourites and fits perfectly into the anti-inflammatory diet. I could eat this with a piece of whole grain toast every day and be happy.

With all of my health problems, my mom has been trying to get more turmeric in me for ages. Turmeric belongs in the ginger family and originated in southwest India, where farmers harvest the roots annually. The roots are processed and ground into the deep-orange-yellow powder we are all familiar with. “One active ingredient is curcumin, which has a distinctly earthy, slightly bitter, slightly hot peppery flavor and a mustardy smell.”  Along with supporters of the anti-inflammatory diet, my mom will be happy to know that science is starting to take turmeric seriously too.

Scientists are especially interested in curcumin’s affect on the body. Basic research is still underway to study its potential to heal kidneys, arthritis, cancer, irritable bowls, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, as well as its basic anti fungal and antibacterial properties. Last year, Scientific American’s Everyday Einstein even talked about turmeric, if only to point out how much we still need to know about curcumin. How much turmeric is needed to have a medicinal impact on the body? How much is bad for you?

Really the only warning I’ve found on turmeric for your health is about its vulnerability to adulteration in the marketplace, which consumers have been aware of and have developed tests for. 

I know what I want for breakfast.

2 comments:

  1. I am now using turmeric on a daily basis. It's great on eggbeater scrambled eggs for breakfast. Anxious to try your recipe with the tofu and veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of how eggs taste, but I actually prefer a good tofu scramble. Most restaurants don't seem to do them right. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete