Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Greetings from a sick skeptical place...

Thank you for joining me in the first post of this blog. My name is Tine Hreno and I already blog about the research for my novel. When I decided to try the anti-inflammatory diet, blogging about it seemed like the obvious next step.


I’m basically a young old lady; my memory doesn’t work well and I have terrible arthritis. Also, I’m stuck in my ways, but I’m tired of getting sick so easily.

My memory problems were brought on by chronic silent migraines. According to WebMD
Silent migraines are a medical oddity. How can you have a migraine "headache" without headache pain? 
These so-called migraines have lessened with the use of anti-inflammatory medication.


Upon hearing the good news, my friend exclaimed: “It’s amazing how many problems can be caused by inflammation!” Which is interesting because, as already mentioned, I’ve got lots of problems!
Did you know that inflammation is the common link between such debilitating conditions as Alzheimers, heart disease, cancer, and arthritis?
Did you know inflammation is thought to be the culprit behind the visible signs of aging?
Inflammation is a wellness buzz-word these days, and for good reason. If you reduce inflammation in your body, you'll not only look and feel younger, but you'll significantly lower your risk for chronic disease! Source.
The very notion of a “wellness buzz-word” irks me. When everyone started going gluten-free, I headed straight to Chinatown, got some gluten in a can, and started eating it.

When I started taking anti-inflammatory medicine to reduce the symptoms of silent migraines, I started to feel better. This sense of relief was mixed with amazement at how terrible I was feeling before. My body has grown used to living with a certain amount of pain.

Inspired by my story, another friend suggested I try out an anti-inflammatory diet to see how that changes things. The anti-inflammatory food pyramid lists red wine, so it can’t be that bad… Can it?

I like food and drink. I tested out a few anti-inflammatory foods and am willing to give it a try. If some foods can make you sick, it’s not too much of a stretch to think that others might cure you. However, part of me is still very reluctant and skeptical. I would like this to change my life, but the whole concept of food as medicine makes me think of the backward-gazing anti-vaxxers, who are making us sick in the first place.

In addition to giving the anti-inflammatory diet a serious test drive, I intend to use this blog to investigate claims made about the ability of foods to cure disease (eyes free samples of fish oil suspiciously). I expect to uncover a bunch of hoaxes, while learning some interesting things and getting a little healthier. As a young old lady, I’m definitely going to have some fun along the way!

Thank you for joining me!

No comments:

Post a Comment