Wednesday, August 24, 2016

20 Ways to Fight Inflammation with Toast


I am a little like Ron Swanson. I love breakfast food. I love all the breakfast food you can get in a diner, except sausage gravy and grits. I love sitting down to a plate with two eggs on it, four slices of bacon, a pile of fried potatoes, and buttered sourdough toast. The anti-inflammatory diet has taken half the eggs and everything else on that plate away from me.

Except for cheat days, my breakfasts menu rotates between four meals: smoothies, oatmeal, tofu scrambles, and avocado toast. Avocado toast is my favourite of those meals. I mash up half an avocado with some organic extra virgin olive oil, a squirt of lemon juice, and a clove of garlic. I shmear the mashed avocado on two slices of toasted whole grain probiotic bread and eat it with a basted egg.

If I am out of avocado, sometimes I have peanut butter and banana on my toast instead. Though, I still wish I could be like Elvis and add bacon. All of that is about to change!

In recent weeks, I found a bread that I love for toast. Now, I want more ways to eat it. I’ve found 20 ways to mix up my meals on toast munching mornings while sticking to my diet and fighting inflammation. If you try any of these ideas, leave a comment and tell me what you think.

1. Pesto Avocado Tomato toast

One slice of toast schmeared with pesto, topped with sliced avocado, topped with a slice of tomato, and garnished with sprouts. - Dr. Weil

2. Avocado Pomegranate Toast

Sliced Avocado + Crumbled Feta + Pomegranates + Olive Oil on whole grain toast. - Buzzfeed.

3. Banana Almond Butter and Chia Seeds 

Sliced Banana + Almond Butter + Chia Seeds on whole grain toast. - Buzzfeed.

4. Toasty Ants on a Log Toast

Thinly Sliced Celery + Raisins + Peanut Butter. - Buzzfeed.

5. Berries Edamame and Cheese Toast

Goat Cheese + Sliced Strawberries + Shelled Edamame + Balsamic Vinegar + Sea Salt on whole grain toast. - Buzzfeed

6. Crunchy Hummus Toast

Hummus + Chopped Walnuts + Pomegranates on whole grain toast. - Buzzfeed.

7. Feta Almond Date Toast

Chopped Mejdool Dates + Sliced Feta + Sliced Almonds on whole grain toast. - Buzzfeed.

8. Plum Butter Toast

Sliced Plums + Sunflower Seed Butter + Flaxseed on whole grain toast. - Buzzfeed.

9. Italian Egg Toast

Marinara Sauce + Poached Egg + Parmesan + Basil on whole grain toast. - Buzzfeed.
This recipe reminds me of shackshouka, but on toast with Italian spices.

Shacksouka. 
10. My Neighbour’s Garden Avocado Toast

It's the time of year when everyone has tomatoes and basil in their backyard. Smashed avocado, schmeared on toast, topped with chopped cherry tomatoes and basil. - The Kitchn.

11. Don’t-Kiss-Me-After-Breakfast Toast

Smashed avocado, schmeared on toast, topped with crumbled feta and chopped green onion. - The Kitchn.

12. The Importance of Being Cucumber Toast

Smashed avocado, schmeared on toast, topped with thinly sliced cucumber and dill. - Little Broken.

13. Sweet Little Monkey Avocado Toast

Smashed avocado, schmeared on toast, topped with thinly sliced banana, sprinkled with sunflower seeds, and drizzled in honey. - Little Broken

No avocado? No problem! Shmear the banana instead like I did: 


14. Two Layer Dip Avocado Toast

Smashed avocado, schmeared on toast, topped with hummus, topped with thinly sliced cucumber and dill. Basically, The Importance of Being Cucumber Toast with more protein! - Kitchen Treaty.

15. Almost Like Pancakes Toast

Mashed banana schmeared on whole grain toast, topped with blueberries, maple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg. - Healthfully Ever After.

16. Curried Banana Toast

Mashed banana schmeared on whole grain toast, sprinted with curry powder, crystallized ginger, raisins, lime zest and juice. - Healthfully Ever After.

17. Garlic Shiitake Mushroom Breakfast Toast

The name says it all. The recipe is here, I would just use olive oil, no butter, and whole grain toast.

18. Greek Chick Peas on Toast

Chick peas, tomatoes, spices, and olives. The Recipe is here and again I would use my favourite bread.

19. Masala French Toast

This sounds like it would taste like curried eggs and bread. I would use my favourite bread and olive or canola oil instead of butter. The recipe is here

20. Cinnamon Ginger Chilli Peaches on Toast

Exactly what is sounds like the recipe is here.

Armed with these recipes, I might be eating a toast based diet until October. Please share comments, or other anti-inflammatory friendly recommendations below.

To find out more about my journey in exploring food as medicine, like my Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment