Saturday, May 28, 2016

Green Chef review

I tried Green Chef for the first time this week. Green Chef is a food box delivery program. They send you three dinners for two once a week. All of their food is organic and sustainably sourced.


Although you don't get to pick which meals they send you in a given week, you can select from a limited range of dietary preferences (vegetarian, omnivore, vegan, gluten-free, paleo), you can see what recipes they will be sending you ahead of time, and skip weeks whenever you want.

FedEx sent the first box that I ordered from Green Chef to the wrong address, leaving me hugely disappointed. I didn't realize how much I would be looking forward to it, especially because I was taking care of a sick husband that week. The mix up wasn't Green Chef's fault and I was not billed for that order, but I got a FaceBook message about a week later from a guy who lives on a different street in my town with the same building and apartment number, claiming the box had been sitting in front of his apartment door for about a week.

I let Green Chef know. They are very friendly, but I was still sad that so much food got wasted.

When my first box finally arrived, this is what was inside:


There are three recipes and all of the ingredients needed to cook them. Everything is measured out to prevent food waste and everything is colour-coded to match the recipe cards. All of the food is fresh and has kept well in my refrigerator. Most of the recipes are compatible with the anti-inflammatory diet. All are low calorie. I've cooked two so far.

First, I made buttermilk-brined chicken, mushrooms, potato & peas, arugula & fig salad.


I think this was the most delicious chicken dinner that I've ever cooked. Because they sent me the recipe card, I can make it again whenever I want!

I was too excited to eat the Memorial Day Mozz Burger & bacon slaw to take a picture, but I kind of wish that I had. I don't think the burger buns are compatible with the anti-inflammatory diet (so I was cheating by eating one). This was a really good burger made from really good beef! However, my husband and I wound up throwing away most of the bacon slaw.

The fact that we hated the bacon slaw is probably not Green Chef's fault either. Bacon just tastes wrong in cole slaw. I felt like I wrecked the two things by mixing them together.

Tonight, I'm looking forward to making Buffalo-Blue Sweet Potato, blue cheese, black bean & corn salsa, spinach.

Based on this experience, I definitely recommend Green Chef. If you are interested in giving them a chance, click here to get four meals (two recipes and all of the ingredients) for free.

To find out more about my journey in exploring food as medicine, like my Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment